Saturday, May 14, 2011

Among the Trenches

Since I have started substitute teaching I have met a number of different people.   One woman who is divorced is working three jobs sometimes logging 80 hours a week.  Once a week she does an overnighter in a home for the mentally ill.  Despite the long hours she is working, she has an upbeat demeanor.  I have met people who have been subbing for years, some finally landing a permanent position as a teacher’s aide or paraprofessional.   Each school has its own environment, e.g dress code and rules.   Most everyone has been helpful and friendly.  My sister-in-law has worked in this district for over 20 years so I have an instant familiarity with people who know her.  It makes me feel not so strange.  I am finding my way through, asking questions and getting to know the secretaries.
My care giving job is a little more isolating.  I visit people with whom I am on a one to one basis.  One evening my neighbor’s mother who lives in a facility I have been assigned to was having an art exhibit.  I saw her family there on my way out one evening.  All in all, I have been getting out and meeting all sorts of people everywhere I go.
Between the two jobs, some days I am out the door at 8:00 a.m. and finish the day at 8:00 p.m.   It’s a completely different life.

No comments:

Post a Comment