Saturday, January 1, 2011

When One Door Closes After Another

It happened early one morning in the Spring of 2010.  I was online researching  job opportunities when my husband suddenly fell to the floor in the bedroom yelling, “Oh my God!”  I ran into the bedroom and there he was, unable to get up.   Unsure of what had  just happened,  I tried to help him but it was useless.   I called 911 since this was clearly something we couldn’t deal with ourselves.   Thus, started another journey within a journey to top off our unemployment problem; a debilitating stroke.   I knew a permanent change was in the making but how drastic would it be?
A neighbor was driving by and seeing the ambulance in front of our house, she stopped.   I was frightened but she gave me some much needed comfort.  “Would you like me to drive you to the hospital?”, she said.   And so she did.   She stayed with me until immediate family arrived.  She was sure she was placed in that moment in time to be there.  I am not a religious person, but it was a force of nature that put her in place to help us get through the first phase of this life altering, traumatic event.  She was in the truest sense, a Godsend, just as she had been in a different way, many years before.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's stroke. My husband has also had some recent health problems that have led to his unemployment.. and made it difficult for him to pursue jobhunting with the energy that it needs (as if that would make a difference.)

    How is he doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really does stink, doesn't it? Things can never be the same. My husband functions well (and thank you for asking) but he cannot endure the stress or perform up to the level he did previously which makes him have to lower his expectations. I understand the toll it takes on self esteem and self worth. It's a hard pill to swallow. Jobhunting is soul sucking and life draining even if you are in good health. The key is to keep trying, hard as that can be. If you give up, you give in.

    ReplyDelete