Saturday, March 5, 2011

The Guitar Man

Since we decided to move, I have been selling, giving away or throwing away many items in this house.  I came across a drawing my daughter had done of her high school boyfriend.  It consisted entirely of dots drawn together to compose a picture of him playing the guitar.   The drawing was entered into an art contest and received distinction in the Congressional Record.  Because they had gone their separate ways, she and I decided that he should be given the picture.   I drove to his house and he answered the door.  He invited me in and we talked for awhile.   I wasn’t surprised to know he is pursuing a musical career and teaching guitar.  As I was ready to leave he gave me a hug and I said, “High school.  Those were fun times.”  He told my daughter back then that my husband and I liked him more than she did.  I’m sure that was true.   I smiled as I left looking over my shoulder and started to feel sad.   It felt as though I was looking at him in my rear view mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment